Smooth Like Strait
Smooth Like Strait returned to his winning ways while racing for the first time outside of Southern California. As the skies were opening up on Saturday at Churchill Downs, he comfortably won the inaugural $100,000 War Chant Stakes by 1 3/4 lengths.
The Cannon Thoroughbreds LLC’s homebred is trained by Michael McCarthy and was ridden by John Velazquez. The victory was his second stakes triumph and was worth $57,040, increasing his earnings to $178,323 with a record of 3-1-1 in seven starts.
Bred in Kentucky, Smooth Like Strait is out of the Flower Alley mare, Smooth as Usual, who produced a Temple City filly last year and another Midnight Lute colt this year. The son of Midnight Lute hails from the female family of G1SW Laragh (Tapit) and multiple GSW and sire Summer Front (War Front).
OPTIMAL Mating Analysis
Horses bred on OPTIMAL Matings have proven to possess more potential to become superior racehorses. In fact, most will break their maiden in the first two starts. Combined with a good physical, good vetting and a price that falls within a budget, OPTIMAL Matings help to focus on buying or breeding better racehorses.
OPTIMAL Mating Factors for Smooth Like Strait
- Outcross Percentage = 74% (OPTIMAL >= 70%)
- Linebreeding Balance = 10 (OPTIMAL <= 10)
- 2nd Generation Linebreeding Balance = 11 (OPTIMAL <= 17)
- Grand sire/Grand dam Pair Percentage = 7% (OPTIMAL <= 17%)
- Gender-balanced Linebreeding Difference = 2 (OPTIMAL <= 2)
- Number of Dominant Runner Female Families = 4 (OPTIMAL >= 4)
- Number of Dominant Sire Female Families = 1 (OPTIMAL >= 1)
NOTE: All 7 factors are met.
- 6×6 Buckpasser – through daughters Breakfast Bell and Alluvial
- 5×5,5,5 Mr. Prospector – through sons Fappiano, Forty Niner, Lycius and Conquistador Cielo – similar to G3W Singanothersong (Songandaprayer), SW Kim K (Will Take Charge) & SW Mexikoma (Birdstone)
- 6×6 Nearctic – gender-balanced through daughter Quiet Charm and son Northern Dancer
- 6×6,6,5 Northern Dancer – gender-balanced through sons Vice Regent, Danzig, Sadler’s Wells and daughter Dokki
- 6,5×6,6,6 Raise A Native – gender-balanced through daughter Meadow Blue and son Mr. Prospector
- 5×6 Secretariat – through daughters Sister Dot and Weekend Surprise – similar to SW Edwards Going Left (Midnight Lute)
Whether you are new to the game, experiencing more losses than wins or just looking for a new approach, I am confident that I can help you breed or buy a better racehorse. To find out more about OPTIMAL Matings and how they can help your program, please subscribe to my Blog/News page HERE to receive future information on complimentary mating recommendations, sales short lists, stakes winner pedigree analysis, news on personal client success and any other random thoughts or ideas that I may have. Also, receive a complimentary copy of my report “Blind Luck or Designed Luck? – How A Kentucky Derby Winner Was Bred” sent directly to your inbox.
For inquiries or more information about Shepherd Equine Advisers, please contact Clark Shepherd at 859-321-6618, or by email at email@example.com.
I would love to hear any comments or questions that you may have. Please submit them below. Maybe we can address them in a future post!