KEESEP20 – Hip 1389 – Hard Spun – Hanalei Hailey, by Malibu Moon
Clark Shepherd (Shepherd Equine Advisers), bloodstock agent for Wayne Sanders & Larry Hirsch, purchased this Hard Spun colt at the 2020 Keeneland September Yearling Sale from the consignment of Elm Tree Farm for $140,000. He was bred by Stonestreet Farm.
The colt’s dam, Hanalei Hailey (Malibu Moon) was purchased as a 2yo by Stonestreet Farm for $625,000 at the 2013 Fasig-Tipton March Select Two-Year-Olds in Training Sale . Her record of 9-2-1-0 was primarily obtained sprinting on the dirt.
The Malibu Moon mare unfortunately aborted her 2020 foal by Maclean’s Music and was bred back to Blame this year.
OPTIMAL Mating Analysis
Horses bred on OPTIMAL Matings have proven to possess more potential to become superior racehorses. In fact, most will break their maiden in the first two starts. Combined with a good physical, good vetting and a price that falls within a budget, OPTIMAL Matings help to focus on buying or breeding better racehorses.
OPTIMAL Mating Factors for 2019 Hard Spun – Hanalei Hailey colt
- Outcross Percentage = 87% (OPTIMAL >= 70%)
- Linebreeding Balance = 3 (OPTIMAL <= 10)
- 2nd Generation Linebreeding Balance = 11 (OPTIMAL <= 17)
- Grand sire/Grand dam Pair Percentage = 3% (OPTIMAL <= 17%)
- Gender-balanced Linebreeding Difference = 2 (OPTIMAL <= 2)
- Number of Dominant Runner Female Families = 5 (OPTIMAL >= 4)
- Number of Dominant Sire Female Families = 2 (OPTIMAL >= 1)
NOTE: All 7 factors are met.
- 6×6 Nashua – through daughters Bramalea & Gold Digger
- Similar to G1W Giant Ryan (Freud), G2W Coal Front (Stay Thirsty), G3W Comedero (Posse) & G3W Northern Causeway (Giant’s Causeway)
- 5,6×6 Native Dancer – gender-balanced linebreeding through daughter Natalama and son Raise A Native
- Similar to G1W Groupie Doll (Bowman’s Band), G2W Departing (War Front), G2W O’Prado Again (El Prado (IRE)), G2W Wallyanna (Langfuhr), G3W Duke of Venice (Theatrical (IRE)), G3W Long Island Sound (War Front) & G3W Native Bombshell (War Front)
- 5×5 Raise A Native – through sons Alydar & Mr. Prospector
- Similar to G2W Call Me George (Point Given), G3W Cocked and Loaded (Colonel John) & G3W Dalmore (Colonel John)
Whether you are new to the game, experiencing more losses than wins or just looking for a new approach, I am confident that I can help you breed or buy a better racehorse. To find out more about OPTIMAL Matings and how they can help your program, please subscribe to my Blog/News page HERE to receive future information on complimentary mating recommendations, sales short lists, stakes winner pedigree analysis, news on personal client success and any other random thoughts or ideas that I may have. Also, receive a complimentary copy of my report “Blind Luck or Designed Luck? – How A Kentucky Derby Winner Was Bred” sent directly to your inbox.
For inquiries or more information about Shepherd Equine Advisers, please contact Clark Shepherd at 859-321-6618, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I would love to hear any comments or questions that you may have. Please submit them below. Maybe we can address them in a future post!